You may not be aware of this but Sunday is National Pie Day.
The Jets happen to be in a big game, too.
Both are vital facts to know today because they provide the excuse to visit a Plainview bakery and pick up your favorite variety (as if you needed an excuse.) Why wait until tomorrow and risk getting caught short? And what good is pizza, chicken wings and beer without a blueberry pie chaser?
Each day the "5 Things" column will tell you five essential pieces of information you need to know today, like events happening or community topics being covered on the site later on in the day. Have an event or topic that should appear in this column? Add it to the calendar or send us a news tip.
Saturday's options include:
1. Check out our on the places to go out and enjoy Sunday's AFC Championship game between the and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Lots of area bars are holding gatherings and running specials, although pies do not appear to be among them.
2. A performance of Jonathan Larson's Pulitzer prize winning musical, plays Saturday night at the . The Broadway hit, based loosely on Puccini's opera "La Boheme," has Friday and Saturday performances at 8 p.m., Sundays at 7 p.m., and Jan. 30 at 3 pm and 7 p.m. Tickets: $20.
3. The South Levittown Lanes holds a for anyone with special needs, ages 5-adult, from 2-4 p.m. Saturday. Siblings welcome too; $5 for 2 games and shoes. No registration required.
4. The holds its regular evening activities night between 6:30 and 9:30 p.m., with sports, games and special activities for children ages K-4. The activities are supervised by a trained staff, registration required: $30 per child, $15 for each additional child.
5. OK; Back to the pie thing: You can visit today in the Plainview Centre, which offers a complete assortment of baked treats. You'll have to wait until tomorrow to visit a Kosher bakery that isn't opened on Saturday. You can get creative and buy all the ingredients necessary to make your own at Plainview's local
But...they all have , too.