Today is Easter Sunday, the day Christians believe that the crucified Jesus of Nazareth rose from the dead around 33 AD and appeared to his disciples. The joyous event, told in the Canonical Gospels, will be celebrated at all of Plainview's churches today and in homes throughout the community.
Each day the "5 Things" column will tell you five essential pieces of information you need to know today, like events happening or community topics being covered on the site later on in the day. Have an event or topic that should appear in this column? Add it to the calendar or send us a news tip.
For Easter Sunday:
1. Plainview's Roman Catholic churches hold these Masses:
- Masses at 8:30 am, 10:30 a.m. in Church and 12:30 p.m. in gym.
- : Upper Church Mass: 7:30 a.m., 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 12 p.m. Lower Church Mass: 1030 a.m., 12 p.m.
2. Plainview's Protestant churches will conduct these services:
- Church: 8:30 am -Blessing of Pascal Candle followed by Eucharist, 10:00 am - Holy Eucharist.
- Church: 6am - Easter vigil part II Sunrise Holy Eucharist, 830 am - 930 am Easter breakfast, 9am – Easter Services.
- Church: 10:30 am - Easter Mass.
3. Federal parks like are free to visit today. The home of Theodore Roosevelt, known as the "Summer White House," is open from 9 a.m - 5 p.m. You can take the family on a guided tour of the 26th President's mansion, which still has original furnishings, hunting trophies and family photos. It's less than 30 minutes by car from Plainview.
4. Adventureland Amusement Park, with rides, games, and food, has been open for spring break week, including today The park is open from 11 a.m.–7 p.m. Price: $21 for kids 4 feet and under, $25 for everyone taller.
5. Did you read our latest ? It's part of our family friendly content in . We also told you about the upcoming Plainview school budget vote and the at an Old Bethpage restaurant. While you're reading us, browse our "events" calendar for other happenings around town. Have a thought on our stories, let us know.