You've heard the expression: "Slow news day?"
Not likely Friday.
The National Weather Service says the storm that dumped up to 6 inches on Long Island has passed us and skies will clear through the day. Tbe snow is the crystaline white powder that makes for great sledding and pretty winter vistas. Dig out and begin to enjoy your weekend in Plainview.
Each day the "5 Things" column will tell you five essential pieces of information you need to know today, like events happening or community topics being covered on the site later on in the day. Have an event or topic that should appear in this column? Add it to the calendar or send us a news tip.
1. If you're homebound, you can stay here and let it all unfold on throughout the day. We'll have frequent updates on road conditions and cancellations. Please send email us your photos to email@example.com
2. The will provide a full-military escort for one of its own. The body of former Plainview Fire Chief Alfred Calamo will be escorted from the fire on Old Country Road to a funeral service at Church on South Oyster Bay Road. Plainview Patch will cover the moving event in photos by fire photographer
3. Friday afternoon, we'll tell you the best places to go out and enjoy Sunday's AFC Championship game between the and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Lots of area bars plan fun gatherings; we'll let you know about the specials.
4. Jonathan Larson's Pulitzer prize winning musical, opens its run Friday night at the . The Broadway hit, based loosely on Puccini's opera "La Boheme," has Friday and Saturday performances at 8 p.m., Sundays at 7 p.m., and January 30 at 3 pm and 7 p.m. Tickets: $20.
5. Plainview had school today, so the Hawks will take on East Meadow in at 5 p.m. Plainview plays on its home court at the high school, on Kennedy Drive.