Rosh Hashanah starts tonight at sundown and today in Plainview is a big day for holiday shopping and preparations.
Each day the "5 Things" column will tell you five essential pieces of information you need to know today, like events happening or community topics being covered on the site later on in the day. Have an event or topic that should appear in this column? Add it to the calendar or send us a news tip.
1. Wednesday is the last day of the school week in Plainview, shortened by the holiday. Later, Patch will run a list of the public events happening at local synagogues over the next two days. Many of our local synagogues have already posted their public and children's services on our events calendar.
2. There's been lots of big news from the school district this week. Read about the search to replace Superintendent or Plainview's semi-finalist in the National Merit Scholarship Program
3. The hosts pre-school storytime for kids ages 3-5. The event runs from 11 a.m.- 2 p.m. and is for children wo are able to be separated from their caregiver.
4. The exhibit: Francisco Goya: Los Caprichos" will be on display now through Nov. 27 at the Nassau County Museum of Art. Los Caprichos is a set of 80 etchings by the famed Spanish and are regarded among the most influential series of graphic images in Western art. For more information visit our in-depth calendar item or the Roslyn museum's website. Price: $10, $8, $4 (members free)
5. Check out the latest work of our bloggers, including our newest contributor, political insider of Plainview. See the thoughtful cartoons of Pat Giles and read the insights of Rabbi David Ross Senter. Interested in blogging for Patch, contact Joe Dowd at Joe.Dowd@patch.com