Nassau County veterans recently joined County Executive Edward P.
Mangano at a breakfast get-together at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall
Among the veterans attending:
- Marty Stallone of North Massapequa
- Bill Vojir of Seaford, who served in Korea
- John Resin of West Babylon, who served in Vietnam
- Shelley Okin of Levittown, who flew in B-24 Liberators in Europe
- Ron Hayes of Hicksville, who served in Vietnam
- Jack Geiger of Westbury, who served in WWII
- Vinnie Morreale of East Meadow, who served in Vietnam
- Retired Lt. Colonel Howard Liebman who won the Distinguished Flying Cross, and who has logged over 2,500 hours in a B-29. Liebman survived a crash landing in Burma.
Mangano thanked the men for their distinguished service to the country.
Mangano discussed various financial assistance available through Nassau County that is available to veterans.
The first step for filing a benefits claim is to enroll at the Veterans Affairs hospital nearest to their home.
The Nassau County Veterans Service Agency advocates for Nassau County veterans and their dependents with the U.S. Veterans Administration, as well as New York State and Nassau County agencies by educating them and ensuring they receive all their benefits; assisting with their financial and economic issues; expanding public awareness of veteran issues; and enhancing the quality of life for Veterans in Nassau County.For more information veterans can visit the Nassau County Veterans Service Agency at 2201 Hempstead Turnpike, Building "Q" in East Meadow (along the entrance road of Nassau University Medical Center) or can call 516-572-6565. If transportation is needed call (516) 572-6526.