Our home is one of our most expensive investments. When a disaster strikes, here are some steps that may prove helpful to you:
1. Take a lot of pictures of all the damage. You can’t have too many pictures of everything.
2. Keep calling your insurance adjuster and get them to see the home asap. The squeaky wheel get’s oiled.
3. There is a firm called ALE Solutions: 866-885-9785 that works with the insurance companies to find displaced homeowners temporary housing (at ... long term hotels) and the insurance company will pick up the cost.
4. Call FEMA asap to come into your homes.
Get the insurance company to get you a clean up company or call one to come in and clean out the debris, take down the walls, de-mold, and put up new sheetrock like Serv Pro 1-800-SERVPRO, which is a franchise with many different locations. This company works with insurance companies.
5. After debris is removed, call a restoration company like Belfor Restoration: 631-964-8900, to rebuild.
6. Insurance companies will access damage, remove debris, pack and provide storage, rebuild and pay for your temporary housing.
7. Keep receipts of all day-to-day expenses for needed food, clothing, and furnishings needed to live.
8. Make a list of ALL losses - clothing, furnishings, food from refrigerator and freezer, etc.
9. Get receipts for ALL lost furnishings.
10. Also, Furniture Medic: 516-333-9090, a local company that repairs wooden furniture
11. Love Cleaners is a clothing cleaning company that works with Insurance companies: 631-665-1800, they will pick up.
If you are overwhelmed hire a public adjuster or insurance advisor.
AND, most of all, please be safe!