.
News Alert
Levittown Man Charged With Manslaughter in Crash…

Plainview Firefighters Discover Carbon Monoxide Threat

Chimney fire sets off high levels of poisonous gas at Roxton Road home, illustrates the need for CO detectors.

worked quickly to clear a Roxton Road home of dangerous carbon monoxide gas on Wednesday.

Shortly before 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, workers nearby alerted firefighters to smoke coming from the home.

Arriving Plainview units found heavy smoke coming from the home's chimney. Donning oxygen masks, firefighters entered the home and determined it had high levels of carbon monoxide, measured at 525 parts per million.

A typical home CO detector will sound at levels of 30 ppm, authorities said.

The smoking oil burner was shut down as firefighters search the home, which proved to be empty. Fans were used to circulate fresh air into the home. After 3o minutes the levels were at zero and the scene was turned over to Nassau County Police 2nd precinct units.

The incident illustrates the need for CO detectors to be installed in homes, authorities said. Carbon Monoxide, in sufficient quantities, can cause headaches, nausea and vomiting and, in extreme cases, disorientation, visual impairment, seizures and death.

The story is told in the photos of contributor

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »