There's a hot-button issue across New York State that deserves your attention.
Educators say the state's new standards for evaluating teachers is misguided and a continuation of "teaching to the test," and not representative of a teacher's real worth. We want you to weigh in on this today.
Each day the "5 Things" column will tell you five essential pieces of information you need to know today, like events happening or community topics being covered on the site later on in the day. Have an event or topic that should appear in this column? Add it to the calendar or send us a .
1. The debate over how to evaluate educators is on the rise and several Plainview public school principals have joined hundreds of other Long Island educators in the fight against the state's new standards. We want your opinion. See our new story and poll here.
2. Daylight Saving Time ended Sunday at 2 a.m.; If you lived off the grid this weekend, you need to one hour to Eastern Standard Time.
3. Later today we expect an update from the Nassau County Police on Sunday's tragedy on South Oyster Bay Road involving the death of a teenage skateboarder.
4. On Saturday, we reported about which will unite on Tuesday to remember the horrors of Kristallnacht in 1938. The is open to the public.
5. It's all week long. The eight-day promotion features a special prix fixe dinner offered by all restaurant participants, including those in Plainview. See here.