New reports of burglaries in the area damper a festive holiday weekend in store for Plainview.
Each day the "5 Things" column offers five essentials about your day in Plainview. We want to engage our audience in the topics, events, and hot-button issues that are important to them. Help us do that by adding your voice. Add it to the calendar or send us a . Post a comment on the news and the issues that matter most to you.
1. Today we're reporting on the that have plagued the Plainview area in recent months. We have learned that police have investigated at least eight of in the immediate area over the last week.
2. holds its annual tree lighting ceremony Sunday at 5 p.m. Members of the JFK/POB choir will be on hand to lead their school children (and all in attendance) in festive, holiday songs. Santa will be on hand along with the Plainview Fire Department, whose tower ladder will help light the 80-foot tall tree: Refreshments will be served afterward. The event is free at the church on Central Park Road.
3. "Spring Awakening" returns to this weekend. Saturday's performance of is at 8 p.m. at the theatre on Old Country Road. Tickets: $20
4. The continues its Thursday all day at the Y on Manetto Hill Road at Washington Avenue.
5. All this month...Patch is paying special attention to the holidays. Do you have an event that deserves special attention in Patch? A school play? A fund-raiser? A need for volunteers? We want all of them and plan to publish them prominently and throughout the month in our Holiday Guide. Send your stories, photos and publicity needs to Local Editor Joe Dowd at Joe.Dowd@patch.com.