It's Thursday, Feb. 2: Groundhog Day, where intelligent people all over America actually pay attention to the weather prognostications of a mean, ugly rodent.
Each day the "5 Things" column offers five essentials about your day in Plainview. We want to engage our audience in the topics, events, and hot-button issues that are important to them. Help us do that by adding your voice. Add it to the calendar or send us a . Post a comment on the news and the issues that matter most to you.
1. Just for fun, we'll keep you posted on the predictions from Punxsutawney Phil, Staten Island Chucky (who bit Mayor Bloomberg two years ago) and Long Island's own Malverne Mel, later today. The NWS forecast for the week is for above normal temperatures through the weekend and beyond with no snow in sight. Spring is just over six weeks away, no matter what .
2. THIS IS BIG: Are you a or an official with a , or other ? Have you claimed your listing in Patch? It's simple; just follow the instructions here to claim your listing and use it to promote your business or community institution. The benefits of claiming a listing can be amazing. Let us show you how.
3. holds its family night Thursday at 6:30 p.m. for parents and students in grades 1 and 2.
4. The Mangano administration's has caused about how best to police Nassau County. You on the debate. Look for a new related Question of the Day today and let us know how you feel.
5. Many of the stories we write about come from news tips just like you. Do you have a that needs covering? you want to tell us about? The ? Let us know by adding it to the calendar or sending us a . We read and consider every local coverage request. We try to accommodate everyone.