There was an arrest reported overnight in the slashing attack on a commuter near the Hicksville LIRR station.
Each day the "5 Things" column will tell you five essential pieces of information you need to know today, like events happening or community topics being covered on the site later on in the day. Have an event or topic that should appear in this column? Add it to the calendar or send us a news tip.
1. Overnight, Nassau detectives arrested a Hicksville man in connection with the knife attack on a commuter July 4. See the story here.
2. The is offering two free showings of the controversial film "Black Swan." It's rated "R," and shows at 3 and 7:30 p.m
3. is holding an open house Wednesday and Thursday this week from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for prospective members.
4. With the afternoons hot and humid this week, consider some museum going: The C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University presents Eastern Shores, an exhibit exploring the work of artists who deal with themes connected to the water. Daily 9:30 a.m.– 4:30 p.m.
5. An ongoing exhibit at the features more than 50 photos of photographer The event runs daily through Sept. 4 from 11 a.m. to