The Mid-Island Y JCC is evaluating its security procedures in the wake of the tragic shootings in Newtown a week ago.
In an email announcement to its members, the staff and board said security is being reviewed with local, county and independent security experts and will assess the need for physical changes to the building, if necessary.
The events of Dec. 14, 2012 mandate an appropriate response, and we are therefore immediately implementing the following changes that will affect all members and users of our building," wrote Susan Bender, chief executive officer of the Y JCC. "These are interim actions and subject to change following a full security assessment."
The following changes went into effect Thursday:
- Entrance to the building may only be accessed through the main lobby.
- Access can only be gained through the "entry-only" doors.
- Members must swipe a membership card or present a photo ID.
- Non-members must sign in at the security desk and provide a photo ID.
- Fitness Center users will be required to swipe at the lobby entrance and at the control desk.
- Fire lane parking or standing is now prohibited.
A second security guard has been added to patrol the Early Childhood, Daycare and After School wings. Access to these areas of the building will be strictly limited to program participants, Bender said.
"We take our responsibility to our members and community very seriously," Bender wrote. "Security is our main concern and we understand that the above changes will require patience. We appreciate your help in making this transition run smoothly."