The Plainview-Old Bethpage Chamber of Commerce holds its kick-off luncheon for the 2011-12 year today at noon.
Each day the "5 Things" column will tell you five essential pieces of information you need to know today, like events happening or community topics being covered on the site later on in the day. Have an event or topic that should appear in this column? Add it to the calendar or send us a news tip.
1. The Plainview-Old Bethpage holds its first meeting of the 2011-12 year today, Wednesday, at on Old Country Road. Businesses interested in joining the growing Plainview-area chamber can attend the noon luncheon and sign up. The guest speaker for the event is Oyster Bay Supervisor John Venditto. We'll have a full report later today in Patch.
2. Hempstead High School visits today for a girls volleyball game at 4:30 p.m. The match is open to all.
3. Here's a lecture parents and students won't want to miss: The hosts Prof. John Roberts who will explain a "practical, rational approach to the process of applying to college for parents and teens." The program is free and begins at 7:30 p.m.
4. The exhibit: Francisco Goya: Los Caprichos" will be on display now through Nov. 27 at the Nassau County Museum of Art. Los Caprichos is a set of 80 etchings by the famed Spanish and are regarded among the most influential series of graphic images in Western art. For more information visit our in-depth calendar item or the Roslyn museum's website. Price: $10, $8, $4 (members free)
5. Check out the latest work of our bloggers, including a new post from popular Plainview lawyer Mitch Kessler, or the thoughtful commentary of Rabbi David Ross Senter. Interested in blogging for Patch, contact Joe Dowd at Joe.Dowd@patch.com