As Hofstra University hosts the presidential debate Tuesday, the Nassau County Police Department is notifying the public of several traffic conditions, road closures and mass transit changes.
According to police, residents and visitors are advised to use alternate routes and, if possible, avoid travel near Nassau Coliseum and Hofstra University.
Road Closures/Diverted Traffic
- Earl Ovington Boulevard. will be closed to all traffic between Hempstead Turnpike and Charles Lindbergh Boulevard. from 6 a.m. until midnight.
- No commercial traffic will be allowed on Hempstead Turnpike between Oak Street and Merrick Avenue between the hours of 6 a.m. and midnight on the day of the debate. Westbound commercial traffic will be diverted at Merrick Ave and Hempstead Turnpike and eastbound commercial traffic will be diverted at Oak Street and Hempstead Turnpike.
- All lanes of Hempstead Turnpike will remain open to passenger vehicles. However motorists should expect periodic delays on Hempstead Turnpike and vicinity due to intermittent road closings throughout the day especially in the vicinity of Hofstra University’s main entrance and the Nassau Coliseum.
- Commercial traffic restrictions mentioned above will be effect from approximately 6 a.m. Oct. 16 to approximately midnight on Oct. 17.
NICE bus riders traveling in the area may experience major delays and detours and should plan accordingly. The Nassau County Police Department and the Secret Service will lock down the area surrounding Hofstra University in phases beginning at 5 a.m. on the morning of the debate and continuing through approximately 11 p.m. that evening.
Because of the high level of security, NICE bus will not know specifics about closures until just prior to the shut down, but will make every effort to keep passengers apprised of changes to the schedule and when and where buses are running.
- Affected Bus Routes: n16, n23, n24, n27, n43, n45, n51, n70/71 and Able Ride.
- Bus stops in the lock down areas will not be serviced at those times and security demands that specific information regarding service suspension cannot be made available in advance.
- Able Ride passengers that may be affected will be contacted directly.