The following Plainview area students were recently honored for academic achievements:
Rebecca Freedman, a 2010 graduate of and a pre-med student, recently completed her sophomore year at Brown, achieving a 4.0 GPA for the spring semester. Rebecca also competes on the Brown gymnastic team, where she rose to the college nationals this spring in vault, finishing 13th.
The following local residents (with their academic major in parentheses) are eligible participated in ceremonies May 12 for SUNY Oswego's 151st Commencement:
- Brad S. Farber of Lent Drive in Plainview (accounting)
- Michelle E. Farino of Ruby Lane in Plainview (psychology)
- Jaclyn A. Lisman of Cedar Drive West in Plainview (childhood education)
- Jaclyn B. Mienkiewicz of Wilshire Lane in Plainview (theatre)
- Stephanie N. San Antonio of Argyle Road in Plainview (psychology, cum laude)
- Vanessa M. Saraceno of Roundtree Drive in Plainview (adolescence education, cum laude)
Students who graduate with honors are indicated by the traditional Latin phrases summa cum laude, with highest honor (grade averages of 3.8 to 4.0); magna cum laude, with great honor (grade averages of 3.6 to 3.79); and cum laude, with honor (grade averages of 3.30 to 3.59).
Keene State College:
Keene State College's Commencement honored its biggest-ever graduating class. A total of 1,196 degrees were awarded to 1,107 students. This year's graduates included Lindsay Ross of Plainview.
Buffalo State University:
Michelle Schwartz, of Plainview, was recognized for outstanding academic achievement at Buffalo State's 55th annual Honors Convocation on April 19. Schwartz is a business administration major at Buffalo State. To qualify, students must earn a cumulative grade point average of 3.50 or higher.
In celebration of the 125th anniversary of SUNY Potsdam's Crane School of Music, the entire Crane Chorus and members of the Crane Symphony Orchestra will travel to New York City for the Avery Fisher Hall concert. The Crane Chorus roster includes freshman Cory Hecht. Hecht, who sings bass, is from Plainview.
The following area residents received master's degrees from Quinnipiac University during a commencement ceremony held May 13 at the TD Bank Sports Center:
- Carol Akirav of Plainview, Master of Business Administration
- Aaron S. Lewis of Plainview, Master of Arts in Teaching
- Lauren J. Montemaro of Plainview, Master of Business Administration
University of New Haven:
Joseph Boninti of Plainview, was one of 40 students to win a $250 giftcard as part of Dean's national business challenge competition. The online entrepreneurial business plan competition on Facebook was open to any incoming freshman accepted to the UNH College of Business by the contest deadline, March 18. Four top winners were awarded full tuition scholarships.