A free concert tonight at the commemorates the founding of Israel in 1948. The celebration in song is open to the public.
Each day the "5 Things" column offers five essentials about your day in Plainview. We want to engage our audience in the topics, events, and hot-button issues that are important to them. Help us do that by adding your voice. Add it to the calendar or send us a . Post a comment on the news and the issues that matter most to you.
1. and the invite everyone to their community concert featuring the unique musical stylings of "Pella", a nationally acclaimed Jewish a cappella group. Yom HaAtzmaut commemorates Israel's declaration of Independence in 1948. Free; 7:30 p.m. at (the former Joyce Road School).
2. There's still time to vote on in our Readers' Choice contest. Readers decide their and by interacting about their experiences. Voting closes Friday morning.
3. From Schloime Ehrenreich's Hotel to Kutsher's, you can relive those great Catskill summers with Larry Strickler, consummate . It's free at 7:30 p.m. at the Wednesday.
4. is the setting for a networking event involving four area Chambers of Commerce: Farmingdale, Hicksville, Plainview-Old Bethpage and Syosset. $25 for a full buffet dinner. : 6 p.m. Wednesday.
5. Patch is all about interacting with its readers. By taking our polls and leaving comments, you can help to shape our coverage and let us know what is important to you. Send us your news tips; sign in and weigh in on the topics of the day. Please, claim your listings and sound off in the comments on stories that matter to you.