A weekend of solemn services around the area begin Friday to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001
Each day the "5 Things" column will tell you five essential pieces of information you need to know today, like events happening or community topics being covered on the site later on in the day. Have an event or topic that should appear in this column? Add it to the calendar or send us a news tip.
1. Sept. 11 commemoration services kick off this morning at Parkway School, where students have drawn American flags in honor of first responders. Many Plainview firefighters will be in attendance. See our complete list of local events here.
2. 's boys soccer team hosts Freeport at 4:15 p.m. Tomorrow, its the varsity football team in action against Syosset, at home at 1:30 p.m.
3. Remember, are open. Please continue to drive carefully and take your time today. It's danger
4. Over 18 and want to play basketball? You can still sign up today in Westbury from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. for a variety of age groups and competitive levels. Click here for details.
5. Is your church, synagogue, or civic organization planning a Sept. 11 Memorial event? Let us know the details and we'll give it prominent attention. It's not too late. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org with the time, date and location of the event. Other details appreciated but not required.