The Plainview-Old Bethpage will hold a public hearing tonight to hear from the public on its 2012-13 school budget proposal. The community is invited to comment and ask questions of the board.
The meeting is at the district offices at Mattlin at 7:45 p.m. The budget vote is set for Tuesday May 15.
Each day the "5 Things" column offers five essentials about your day in Plainview. We want to engage our audience in the topics, events, and hot-button issues. Help us by adding your voice. Add it to the calendar or send us a . Post a comment on the news and issues that matter most to you.
1. The $137 million plan represents a modest 2.2 percent increase in overall spending and maintains all staff and programs. The tax levy, the amount to be raised through property taxes, would increase by 2.5 percent. That figure is well under the state’s so-called tax cap, which is derived from a complex formula. Details of the budget proposal are on the district's website here.
2. On Sunday, hundreds took part in the annual NORC Walk. Click the blue link to see photos and a story about the event.
3. Bud Livingston talks the golden age of baseball history at 12:15 p.m. Monday at the and today's topic is 1939-1957.
4. The Manetto Hill Jewish Center has a beginning at 4:15 Monday.
5. There are many community events taking place this time of year in Plainview. We need your help with photos and information from those events. You can upload them directly to Plainview Patch (just sign in as a user and follow the prompts for announcements, blogs, event listings. It's easy.) or send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.