There was a lot of news out of the Plainview Board of Education meeting Monday night, including news that the board is actively searching for a new superintendent. We'll have several reports Tuesday.
Each day the "5 Things" column will tell you five essential pieces of information you need to know today, like events happening or community topics being covered on the site later on in the day. Have an event or topic that should appear in this column? Add it to the calendar or send us a news tip.
1. The is actively searching for a new superintendent to replace Gerard W. Dempsey, who is retiring at the end of the year.
2. Oceanside High School takes on in boys volleyball today at 6:30 p.m.
3. The can help you or a loved one become a better reader: sponsors a free program with tutors today at 9:30 a.m.
4. The exhibit: Francisco Goya: Los Caprichos" will be on display now through Nov. 27 at the Nassau County Museum of Art. Los Caprichos is a set of 80 etchings by the famed Spanish and are regarded among the most influential series of graphic images in Western art. For more information visit our in-depth calendar item or the Roslyn museum's website. Price: $10, $8, $4 (members free)
5. Check out the latest work of our bloggers, including our newest contributor, political insider of Plainview. See the thoughtful cartoons of Pat Giles and read the insights of Rabbi David Ross Senter. Interested in blogging for Patch, contact Joe Dowd at Joe.Dowd@patch.com