Written and Reported by Matt Hogan
Ever wonder how much a superintendent could make in Nassau County?
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) recently made available the pay for most of the superintendents in the state.The highest 10 wages in Nassau County all eclipse $350,000, with one nearly surpassing $550,000.
Plainview's Superintendent, Dr. Lorna Lewis, made the list, coming in at No. 10, with a total compensation package of $356,782, the records indicate.
By comparison, Syosset's superintendent, Dr. Carole Hankin, was again atop the state list. Hankin is retiring in the fall, but will have a total compensation package of $549,262, records indicate.
School districts throughout New York reported their numbers to the NYSED. Although the data is self-reported by each individual school district and is unaudited, it does “not necessarily represent the whole state as there are districts that are not required to report the data. In addition, some districts may not use certain titles.”
The superintendent wages are broken up into three categories and then added together for a grand total. The three categories include “salaries,” “fringe” and “other.”
The NYSED defines the three categories as follows:
- Salaries: The wages budgeted on an annual basis for the position.
- Fringe: Fringe benefits are allowances and services provided by employers as compensation in addition to regular salaries and wages. The cost of fringe benefits includes employer contributions for social security, employee life, health, unemployment and worker’s compensation insurance, pension plan costs and other similar benefits allowable under established written policies.
- Other: The annualized monetary value of any and all forms of compensation not included under Salaries or Fringe for Type 1 or 2 positions. Examples include (but are not limited to) employer expenses for additional insurance and/or annuities, housing allowance, moving allowance, the personal use of a vehicle and/or residence, professional organization membership fees or dues, and other expenses.
- Syosset Central School District: $405,244 (salary); $92,018 (fringe); $52,000 (other); $549,262 (total) *Note* - Syosset Superintendent Carole Hankin will retire in October.
- Jericho Union Free School District: $288,794; $97,820; $62,011; $448,625
- Rockville Centre Union Free School District: $321,712; $88,311; $20,000; $430,023
- Hewlett-Woodmere Union Free School District: $310,000; $95,933; $24,047; $429,980
- North Shore Central School District: $290,617; $75,227; $26,314; $392,158
- Great Neck Union Free School District: $270,000; $80,699; $41,000; $391,699
- Locust Valley Central School District: $280,000; $76,866; $15,800; $372,666
- Roslyn Union Free School District: $275,940; $74,897; $15,000; $365,837
- Garden City Union Free School District: $267,903; $97,273; $0; $365,176
- Plainview-Old Bethpage Central School District: $265,000; $85,782; $6,000; $356,782