Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish calendar, begins at sundown tonight. There are services all over the area tonight and tomorrow. See our stories and listings on Patch today.
Each day the "5 Things" column will tell you five essential pieces of information you need to know today, like events happening or community topics being covered on the site later on in the day. Have an event or topic that should appear in this column? Add it to the calendar or send us a news tip.
1. Many businesses will close early today and remain closed through Saturday around Long Island. See our story about the meaning of Yom Kippur here. See our listings for Saturday's many public services here.
2. Remember, Monday is Columbus Day. Plainview-Old Bethpage School District students are off. Some, but not all, banks are closed, along with federal, state and local government offices. The Postal Service has only limited special services. The New York Stock Exchange is open.
3. Our Crime Report will be posted to this morning.
4. The exhibit: Francisco Goya: Los Caprichos" will be on display now through Nov. 27 at the Nassau County Museum of Art. Los Caprichos is a set of 80 etchings by the famed Spanish and are regarded among the most influential series of graphic images in Western art. For more information visit our in-depth calendar item or the Roslyn museum's website.
5. It's political season: What better time to start blogging for Plainview Patch? Do you have a great fall photo of your kids, or you and your pet. Send them to us Contact Joe Dowd at Joe.Dowd@patch.com.